My Coffin Roots

Interesting information and stories about the descendents of the Dutch Coffins from Fishkill, Dutchess County, New York.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Introduction

Greetings, fellow Coffin family researchers. I created this blog to keep you informed of recent contacts, information I have found, or anything I discovered that may be of interest to someone researching this family. The Coffin family I am researching is not currently connected to the immigrant Tristram Coffin, from whom so many Coffin's in the United States descend. My Coffins appear to be connected to the early Dutch of New York state. I have a website for this family, and also have my family tree on-line with Rootsweb.

The earliest currently known ancestor of this family is Isaac Coffin, born about 1720, and lived in Fishkill/Rombout, and Beekman, in Dutchess County, New York, for much of his life. On 28 Jul 1739, Isaac married Anna Churchill, daughter of Edward Churchill and Wentjie Ryder, according to the records of the Dutch Reformed Church of Fishkill, Dutchess, New York. Isaac appears on the taxpayers lists for Fishkill/Rombout for the years 1738, 1740, 1741, and 1743-1747. In the will of Edward Churchill, dated 15 Apr 1757, his daughter Anna is mentioned as the widow of Isaac Coffin. Frank Dougherty has a brief chapter on Isaac Coffin in his book "The Settlers of the Beekman Patent". Some of this information is contained on my website on the Isaac/Anna page.

1 Comments:

Blogger H said...

My Raven Roots

I was Googling for mentions of Meshie, my father's chimpanzee, and found your excellent Coffin histories. Haven't seen cousins Nancy, Lisa or Jarvis for decades; visited their mother Louisa a number of times when she resided at Meadow Lake(s)? adult community in Hightstown, NJ. Also visited Aunt Louisa's sister, Mary Raven, when she was in a nursing home in New Brunswick.

Have a scar on right hand -- bite mark, compliments of Meshie, when I was eight years old. My father's pet; not mine.

Harry Raven (82)
June 3, 2009

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home